Friday, July 20, 2012

Night Market

Outside of a Night Market
Perhaps it's the if not one of the trademarks Taiwan. The night market was a pretty cool place to be honest. The outside has a bit of a Times Square-esque feel with the bright lights and advertisements. But the heart of it happens underground... where the food is. What happened.... Uh, I had to repay a debt to Uncle David. He took a bunch of us youth out to dinner after a meeting once, and instead of taking my money, he told me I had to eat 臭豆腐 (stinky tofu.) Yeah, Uncle David was willing to buy me a meal so I can eat 臭豆腐. Anyways, there's no way that I would ever eat 臭豆腐. Actually, 臭豆腐 turned out to be disgusting (haha, what a shock.) I'm not sure why people pay money for that stuff; you could find it for free in a Honey Bucket (or one of those squatty potty; it's probably more fresh anyways.) Apparently, Allen liked it. He can taste authentic Taiwanese culture all he wants-I'd rather taste 大陸 culture anyways (that comment was not political at all, in anyway). For me, the shaved ice (or snow or whatever) was ridiculously good. They mix ice and milk, and they shave it, its texture is kinda soft, kinda like snow. I'm not a sweets person, but wow, it was really good. Night Market is one of those things you just kinda have to experience to understand. There's a lot of people, a lot of different smells and sights. I don't like shopping, but that was pretty fun. (yeah, I forgot my camera. Sorry, couldn't upload many pictures. I think there's one of my eating stink tofu. But who wants to see that anyways?)


2 comments:

  1. Hey Eric, This is Isaiah back in the US now. Most of the China team is back and I just wanted to let you know that you guys our in our prayers. Half way through man, finish strong :)

    p.s. just for the record, I'm a 臭豆腐 supporter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Much thanks on the first part. Very disappointed about the second part

    ReplyDelete